Saturday, May 12, 2012

Run, Angela, Run

Your author after her first race.
I whined and whined, "Everybody's running but me!" It seemed like my friends were reporting daily or weekly runs with pride, which they should, and expecting me to report mine in turn, which they should. Not only was I not running, but I was feeling "blah." I was complaining about feeling that way, and feeling guilty for it. You know what I dislike? Whining. 

At 6:30 AM Tuesday I jumped out of bed in my running clothes (because getting up at 6:30 AM already dressed really does help), I had a piece of peanut butter toast, and I ran. I actually felt really awesome afterwards. 

This whole running thing of mine started in December when Jeremy and I found the Couch to 5K program. It promised an easy way for beginners to get off the couch and get fit without intimidation. A lot of fitness programs claim that. Though it was hard at first, I actually did it. Having a partner like Jeremy to wake up early with me and run alongside me was encouraging and fun. It was something we experienced together! 

I do actually recommend that program. It was probably the only program that could have gotten me from the girl in gym class who sat on the bleachers or refused to run the track and instead take an F, if I showed up at all, to the girl who is actually running for more than five sustained minutes. 

In January, we joined some of my coworker friends for a 5K, and we all finished! I ran it in about 34 minutes, which is actually not bad. I finished right in the middle, with more advanced runners finishing 15 to 25 minutes before me. 

Not long after that, my annual physical reported a fitter meI had lost ten pounds from the year prior, and though it was a very low goal, it was my goal to actually lose ten pounds in a year. Running and yoga. I was very happy. 

I only ran two more times after that race, and I they were only follow-up runs, not more advanced ones. Though I did replace my running with Bikram yoga for a few weeks, after that I didn't do much. Some excruciating runs when we first moved, which is mostly hills, hills, hills, I just kind of quit. Then, I started to feel "fat." I probably didn't look that much different, but you may know that feeling. Sluggish, clothes don't look good on you, blah. 

So, I hushed up and ran! For real this time! I didn't feel like I needed a partner, and doing it solo actually motivates me more. I get lost The Smiths Pandora station, where songs with titles like "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful," "Cemetery Gates," and "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby." Quite motivating, trust me.

My main motivation comes from other women in my life. Directly, my friend and coworker Sarah began running regularly after moving here and feeling a little out of place, like a lot of us at work. She finished her first half marathon last year all by herself. 

Women in my family are a motivator, too. Of course I have my mom. Like Sarah, my mom moved to a whole new state and was feeling a little out of place. Without my brother and I close by, she needed something to occupy her days. When feeling depressed or annoyed, she walks. As part of that, my dad and her have began eating better. Her motivation was from seeing many of the women in our family not take as much care of themselves as they should have. 

I don't really want to be "thin" or lose a ton of weight, but I just want to not say or think to myself "I feel fat." I don't want to feel sluggish and tired just because I'm not active. There's so many exciting things to do, and being healthy with a hobby like running better assures your body that it can be there for all of those exciting things.

Only 4.75 miles so far...
The miles I'm pounding these days are being counted toward the San Francisco Marathon's Progressive 5K. I must record 23.1 completed miles from the time I registered for the race to the weekend of the race. On the race day, I complete the final 3.1 miles, or 5 kilometers, of a 26 mile marathon. While it's not nearly the same as the athletes who run a full marathon in a three or four hours, it's an accomplishment! The point is, I got my body movin' like a Beastie Boy! 

I intend on running at least some of Bay to Breakers, even if it's not official. When else can I dress up like, say, a Bird of Paradise, and run across the entire peninsula of this magnificent city?

Well, I gotta run! Happy days!















No comments: