Sunday, April 15, 2012

Eggs

One fun thing about moving to a new neighborhood is finding all new places to eat. I love eating! Yesterday we tried Toast, a breakfast and lunch eatery on Church St.

They have a second location in Nob Hill, but we're lucky to be near the 29th and Church location. It was a lovely walk in the sun to get there and a short wait for the two of us to get a seat. Before too long, we were chowing down on one of the better simple brunches I've had in SF!

I got their breakfast burrito (pictured above), a favorite dish of mine. It was my usual at The Grind in the Lower Haight before we moved. Toast's breakfast burrito is comparable in price and offering to The Grind, but it's way tastier if I even thought that was possible. The tortilla was nice and crispy, not gummy. The eggs were fresh and fluffy and accompanied by the perfect amount of sour cream and salsa fresca. It comes with hash browns, which I was apathetic about until I ate them. They were light and crispy on the outside and soft, steamy, and flavorful on the inside. A+ brunch. Go there!

Something I've not covered in this blog yet: Eggs. I really love them. I might be a little obsessed with them. I might talk about brunch a lot in this blog, and I love brunch so much because it almost always includes eggs.

At this point in my life with eggs (specifically our typical leghorn chicken eggs), I've grown to love them prepared many ways: scrambled light, poached, sunny-side-up, frittata, omelet, hard boiled, bird's nest, quiche... I've recently made my own eggs blackstone at home. I'm working on egg salad sandwiches as a substitute for tuna salad. Next steps: master the soft boiled egg and find the perfect egg cup for me, and try preserved eggs in Chinese cuisine. I gotta try it all.

My favorite eggs to buy at the store now are Rock Island's fertile brown eggs. They're usually $3 to $4 a dozen. They're cage freewhich is important to me. I also have a biased to brown eggs for no reason but they give me a false sense of "real" farm eggs. I also enjoy the different shades of creamy light brown found in each carton. 



I will probably speak more of my egg-cellent adventures in the future, but now I want to leave you with one last egg affection. Below is a drawing of my imaginary hens I will have someday. They are Lulu and Miss Davis and they will be our friends. They'll *cluck cluck cluck* in the backyard in the sunshine. Each day, I'll go outside and ask permission to add their little presents to our collection. It will be paradise! :P











1 comment:

Caitlin said...

I looove how this post went from "yay, brunch!" to "please meet my imaginary chickens" :) While I don't share your love of eggs, I do adore brunch. mmmmm.