Friday, April 13, 2012

Project: Twin Peaks anthology essay

Just popping over to borrow a cup of sugar, black lodge.

When Jeremy and I first checked out our current home on Google Street View, we noticed this two story apartment building across the street.

In one of the two top front windows, a dream catcher hung. It surely catches dreams from the dreaming inhabitant and while it makes me wonder if a tripped out old man lives there who plays guitar. In the other front top window, red curtains blared from the blue window frame. We both exclaimed "Zomfg, it's the black lodge! We must face ourselves there or never escape! Ah!"

When I notice that window, I think of this:

I should use that red curtain-ed window as inspiration for writing my Twin Peaks essay. About a month ago, I was lucky enough to stumble upon this announcement. The day before the deadline I pumped out the below proposal and sent it off. To my appreciation and excitement, it got accepted! You can look for me in the anthology Fan Phenomena: Twin Peaks out by winter (I think). I have a month and a half to complete my final 3000-3500 word essay. So far...well so far I have nothing!

I should give myself more credit. I do have something. I have my proposal. I have a nifty little scribbled outline in my journal. I have my intentions and aspirations. I have a bit of the black lodge across the street. I don't think it's time yet to consider a vision quest, but if I don't start getting down anything by mid-May you can find me across the street. I do not recommend you coming after me as this is something I must face alone with my doppelganger.

Please do read my proposal. I've got a path plotted out for the final piece, but I'd rather hear your ideas and feedback before explaining myself further. Have yourself a doughnut and coffee whilst doing so.

View the May 7, 1990 magazine here.

There is an entire Tumblr dedicated to Audrey Horne’s saddle shoes, fitted sweaters, and rouged pout. The internet’s fairly recent swell of social media and visual communication came right in time for Audrey Horne to be officially declared a style icon by twenty to thirty year old fashionistas. And, when I share web pages splashed with her feisty fifties-inspired ensembles to a friend who was eighteen when Twin Peaks first aired, she says “No one even dressed that way in the early 90s.”


Fashion in Fan Phenomena: Twin Peaks must start with Audrey. Her look-alike, Donna Hayward, plays sleuth in over-sized down vests. However, Audrey wins the proverbial “walk-off” in the Packard Mill. Have you ever seen an over-sized down vest worn by an incredulous teenager on the cover of a naughty pulp novel? Maybe you’ve discretely picked up a tattered copy of one of those books at a yard sale to find an Audrey Horne prototype on the cover. You’ve delighted in her lipstick red heels tapping to dreamy music only heard in her head, and surely you paid for that cheeky novel.

David Lynch dresses this heroine in nostalgia and escapism so that the pain of Laura’s modern murder pinches us deeper than a zipper on a snug pencil skirt. Fans who first viewed her fashions in the early 90s didn’t have the internet’s vast fastness at their fingertips. We can assume that they would have amassed screen stills, styleboards, and outfit inspiration photos on their Tumblrs if they had them, because Audrey isn’t just a young, pretty girl, she’s a mystery and a fantasy wearing what style-philes only wish they could find at a thrift store.


Thank you!

No comments: