Thursday, April 12, 2012

Shoes of San Francisco: One



A rolling rumble shook the front windows.

"What was that noise?" I whispered like the doomed girl in a horror flick.

"I don't know," Jeremy replied without much thought.

"There is it again!" I say with a jump. It's a guttural sound, like a monster-bomb had imploded over the hill in South San Francisco.

"I think it was thunder," Jeremy replied.

Before I could answer "No way," it hit me like lightning. Duh. Of course it's thunder you East coast poseur.

No, no, I'm still a true East coaster. Don't worry, Pittsburgh. But you know what? I haven't experienced a thunderstorm since summer 2010, almost two years ago. I forgot about those.

As I type the social media outlets are bursting with accounts of the storm. Many of my friends are not natives of Californiawhere thunderstorms seldom strike. In fact, I just read this today:

"In his books, Angelucci says he was particularly terrified of thunderstorms and was attracted to California because he heard thunderstorms were very rare there."

c/o fellow writer Maggie in the Mission
Jeremy and I sometimes tease people here when they freak out during a 70+ degree day. They don't know heat, we'd boast, they don't know what it's like to sweat through a shower. Likewise, I don't know how to deal with nearly 365 days of comfortable jacket weather. 

The kind of rain that happens here is something with which I had to learn to deal. When it rains, it just rains. It's an all day event, unlike places where storms blow in unexpectedly when you're in a tank and sandals. I appreciate a solid day of rain, and so do my plants. They're currently getting drenched on the front steps.

I purchased the above Hunter shin-height boots last December during my first bout of endless Bay Area rain. These are my first "big girl" rainboots, as they cost more than $20 and do not have hot pink stars printed all over them. And, they do not let the water in. With a sturdy pair of real galoshes, I'm much happier in the rain. 

Usually when I write, I close myself up with headphones and my writing playlist. At the moment, I'm enjoying Jeremy practicing parts of "This Charming Man" on his Epiphone guitar and the novelty of thunder. 



No comments: