Thursday, September 13, 2012

Navigating the Heavens

Screen segment from the new, unique literary journal.


I encourage you to read this new literary journal, Navigating the Heavens. In this first issue, its eclectic collection of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry touch on the theme of "the light of God." This issue is balanced between short, thoughtful declarations directly speaking to the theme with more subtle pieces that only hint at the it.

I realize its editor, the lovely Elizabeth Carter, made informed and conscious choices about curating her journal. However, given the theme, I can't help but think that there's a little bit of an unseen force in there.

Berit Ellingsen's nonfiction piece "The Cat That Dogs Hissed At" tells of her experience adopting a very special Burmese cat. In poetry, Molly Prosser's "The Thickening Coat," also focuses on a feline.

There's also Wayne Cresser's "All Aquiver" about dreams and waking. My piece, "A Documentation," attempts to address the topic as well, among others.

Reading these all together, I got a sense that the journal itself finds the "light of God," or put more generally, the little coincidences that pop up once in a while. Or, maybe that's what I want to believe. Any which way you see it, I find it all very enjoyable. 

What odd little things have you experienced lately?

No comments: