Saturday, June 15, 2013

Threats by Amelia Gray

Image via Untoward.

During my true crime kick, I picked up Threats by Amelia Gray, which is neither true nor really crime. I feel unable to write a traditional review about it. For her collection of flash fiction, AM/PM, which you can listen to some of here, I will write a reaction to the author herself in less than 300 words.

...

When you compare a character to a pay phone on an empty desert highway, I am conflicted. Pretty image. But, what the fuck? Many of your images are rich, sensual, and memorable. However, am I just too tied up in plot? At times, I felt like I was just being taken for a ride in someone else's self-indulgent dive into what they think is interesting and weird. I got bored. Sorry!

I'm apologizing because I've just listened to your interview on the novel, and you seem like a nice person. Regarding that interview, I totally understand the occasional inability to figure out your characters in a few short words, and the need to expand. I also understand the experience where you try to expand and it's just not working.

I wonder if you fell for strange characters like David with his dirty robe and layers of beauty creams and ants for housemates, like the odd little boy running the police office who knows where the sugar cereal is, and desperately desired a place for them but have no story to tell. You tell about "grief" with grotesque acts and happenings, but if there must be a novel, I feel like a plot needs to at least get plopped in there to give the reader a reason to spend her time on a novel.

By the way, I really wasn't feeling the psychologist in the garage with the wasps. Didn't hold the same sting (I don't care, I said it) that it could have in a flash piece.

Would not read again. Would definitely read AM/PM now that I've learned of it. Am definitely inspired to forge on with my own flash intentions. In that case, I would say you succeeded. Thanks!

...

What have you read recently that didn't hold up for you?







No comments: