Sunday, January 02, 2005

The Tolkien Society

Thanks to SciFi Daily, I found that J.R.R. Tolkien's 113th birthday is tomorrow. Apparently the Tolkien Society is hosting a toast for his birthday. Read more about it on SciFi Daily...

Meanwhile, yes, Tolkien wrote the Lord of the Rings books, and The Hobbit, among others. I never was into that style of literature, especially since I saw the cartoon version of The Hobbit when I was little and hated it. In the last few weeks though, I've watched the LOTR movies on DVD, since my parents had gotten into it. Many people tried to convince me that they are awesome movies, but of course I would not believe anyone. I had to see them for myself. So, after dinner at the 'rents' house, I watched each of them in order, and by the time I got to The Return of the King, I was super excited. Whether you like fantasy or not, I guarentee you will love these movies. They're not so much fantasy as just alagories, so to speak, of The World as we know it. The Return of the King DVD has a documentary by National Geographic that compares some characters and events to those in history. Tolkien himself had participated in WWI and had a son in WWII, and he was also a professor of Anglo-Saxon (at Oxford maybe...?) So, he knows what he is talking about. This isn't flakey, silly fantasy with pixies and evil wizards and shit. It's solid, thoughtful, real stuff. It's so good! See these movies!

No comments: