Thursday, April 07, 2005

PLATO'S CAVE

Posted by Hello
What I did in Ethics Thursday

I have never taken a Philosophy class at Carlow where I was not lectured on Plato's Cave. Existentialism, Logic, Aesthetics, Ethics, all these touched either briefly or in depth on the prisoner, the shadows, the sensible, and the intelligible. Dr. Stewart Loves Plato's Cave, hearts it with an arrow. He seems to love it so much, some of us Humanities majors call his office (which he shares with Carmine) "Plato's Cave." The three stick figures in the corner of my illustration above are the slightly phallic stick figures (copies, if you will, of the ultimate form) that Stewart draws when illustrating the Cave himself.

I did not feel I needed to take yet more notes on the subject, so I doodled the above. Will we ever escape?

Below is a drawing of the Cave I did for a grade in my freshman year Existentialism class. Note the extravagant colors. I took time on this sucker and I got an A+ on it. I will always remember to look for the intelligible world through Plato's Cave.

No comments: