Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Yum, Brains

 On the verge of things I always feel so anxious, but a good kind of exciting anxious. Perhaps it's just that I will have to move in a month, out of ol' Atlizzle and at Carblow. A change of space, something new but familiar too. But I do feel that something rather good will happen to me soon if not in a while, and I usually am right about things like that. I have a very accurate and strong intuition. (See, I was distracted by my co-worker who was silently sneaking up behind me, only to find a mildly- mildly suprised Angela.) 
 
I have ideas as to what my future holds, but like Doc Brown says, knowing too much about your future can lead to disaster. A time paradox! (Search my blog and you will find links to nerd sites that talk all about time physics.) So, I will erase all expectations and go in blindly so as to not be disapointed or unenthused. I think Edmund Husserl wrote about not having any previous knowledge about something, and only then can you truly have sympathy. I think I am getting that a little twisted, but that's the way I used it in a Theology paper I once did. There are a lot of philosophers that have similar ideas about expectations, it's probably one of the essential themes of philosophy. Being a real philosopher and a good philosopher, you ought to be as pure as possible. That is, not having any premature expectations, also not believing what others who have put themselves in power say. You really ought to trust yourself, if your honest enough with yourself to be trusted. So, listen to your intuition, your gut that is, or heart if you will, because it's probably right. Don't listen so much to your crotch so much, (I don't know a better word in this case to use than "crotch.") You can't listen to your brain, because that's what's doing the listening to your gut, so if your being cerebral and logical, you're probably not listening, which in some cases may be right. And, in some cases, listen to your "crotch," otherwise you may miss out on something. The thing is you have to know when to listen or not and to what. But, I guess there's no way to know, except that it's intuitive, so really what I am saying is, your instincts should or do always rule. But it's that logical brain that is allowed to rule in certain circumstances. See, I have been reading! I never understood the Empiricists until now- around 6:30 pm while working at the library. 
 
Since I have been keeping fish, I think about people like I would fish. I sit somewhere, like here at work or at a restaurant or store, and imagine I am really watching fish in an aquarium. They're like different species of barbs- I have tiger barbs in my tank, but there are also cherry barbs, rosy barbs, all kinds of colors, shapes, aggressivness, activity, etc. There are white people with dark hair, light hair, big, little, there are asian people-Korean, Arab, ect. All have different food "requirements"- the otos and plecos only eat algea-are vegetarian just like a Hindu or a Buddists, or a vapid PETA minion. Just imagine a giant Something keeping us in a "tank" and watching us, -oh how cute, the kids are playing hide and seek-just like the tiger barbs play hide and seek among the rocks and ornaments in my tank. I think, all these fish do is swim around, play so to speak, and eat. I really can't think that they do anythink else. Maybe my betta seems to have a familiar affection for me, that is, when he "sees" me looking at him, he thinks I will give him food. We have staring contests, me and the betta, and he probably gets bored when no food comes. But then I have staring contests with my cat, and he gets bored and starts to meow and rub up against my leg for food. But, my cat also looks out the window like he's watching TV, and I think somehow he is really thinking about stuff. My dog too, he has a very strong personality like my cat, and I think that while he is laying in the grass looking out into the yard with his eyes half closed and his breathing very steady and relaxed, he is thinking wonderful things, even if its about chasing bunnies or chocolate. (Dogs aren't supposed to eat chocolate by the way.) But fish, I really can't see them thinking much at all. Of course we know that fish are not as developed as dogs and cats though. But, just like I can lay in the grass and think of chocolate, I am still more developed than my hippie dog Bailey. (I just said something very obvious.) What makes me and [most] humans more developed, common sense, logic, or rationality. 
 
Then there's free will, which I think can be connected to common sense, well yeah, because if your brains do not have to listen to your guts, then your guts can tell you what is supposed to be one thing, but your brain activly choses not to do as your gut. So, if a goose had a free will or common sense, he would have the ability to not migrate in at the start of spring. He can stay in Florida or where ever if he wanted to if he had the ability to choose. But, too bad, he doesn't. 
 
So there, I just went over basic philosophy while I work. Have a good day and be excellent to each other.                         

No comments: