Sunday, October 31, 2004

Wuthering Heights

So, I'm reading Wuthering Heights for my Victorian Lit class, and I'm at work, all alone. I have no class notebook with me, so I will "jot" down my thoughts here, so as to make sense of it. I think that this semester, my brain is refusing to fully work, or it's just not as enthused as it was before, because I read this book, and almost everything else I am assigned to read, and I feel so indifferent about it. Perhaps too much relativism? God damn Post-Modernism. God damn it. I think I just need to have some more free time.

Wuthering Heights. As of chapter 12, Catherine and Heathcliff love each other, even though Heathcliff is a mean, horrible person. Catherine married Edgar, though, since her brother Earnshaw would never have accepted her marrying Heathcliff and most likely would have killed him. Earnshaw actually almost killed his own son. So, years later after Earnshaw banished Heathcliff from the house, Heathcliff comes back, brooding as ever, yet he and Catherine are delighted to see each other. Meanwhile, Isabella, Edgar's sister is infatuated with Heathcliff who is probably taking advantage of her. Even though Heathcliff is an unsavory character, Edgar would allow Isabella to marry Heathcliff just to get him away from Catherine. This, I think, is a selfish move. So, right now, everyone seems to hate each other, and it's always cold and dark. Drama, drama, and drama, pronounced short "a."

It seems hopeless! *Throws hand to forehead and wilts* I imagine Heathcliff puts on this hard ass, dark front as a defense of his character and social status, while all he wishes is to be with Catherine unconsequentially. All because of a good dead that the late Mr. Earnshaw (Catherine and Earnshaw's father) did, Heathcliff is stuck in this circle of people and memories, and love for Catherine, and there's not much else that he has any connection with, while Catherine and even Edgar have an embeded roots and rich families. As upper class Victorians, they're expected to have stabilty and order, while Heathcliff being of the lower class would be expected to foil that. However, we see that the Earnshaws don't have that, though it could be because of Heathcliff's presence too. Did Mr. Earnshaw make a wrong move by bringing Heathcliff-disorder-into this ordered system? I think I have a term paper topic! Elements of order and disorder in Wuthering Heights.

No comments: