Sunday, March 06, 2005

Hubble Telescope, E.T.A. Hoffman...

Rate it! This link takes you to Space.com's Hubble Telescope images. They're all very beautiful, but Space.com wants you to Rate it!, pick your favorite ones. They will probably select the highest rated ones for Space.com wallpapers.

I am reading Tales of Hoffman a collection of short stories by the German horror writer E.T.A. Hoffman. I've read "The Sandman" a few weeks ago, and I enjoyed that. Now I am reading "Mademoiselle de Scudery." It's sort of reminding me of a Noir film, it has mystery and detectives and perversions. Dr. Dennison let me borrow this book again.

Thursday he asked me after class, "Angela, do you have anything to read over Spring break? Want to come look for something to read in my office?" Ooo, look through Dennison's books. How nice is that of him to ask me if I want to borrow a book from him? Whenever I go to his office I find myself panning over his shelves of all the horror, science fiction, surrealism, Irish authors, all the kooky stuff. Lots of out-of-print things, Dover editions, and Penguin Classics. And then there's the dollar store painting the size of a 3x5 notecard that he knocked over when he was telling me about it. It's a neat little thing, with thick paint, Van Gogh 3-D paint strokes (what are those called?), and it's of two women by a body of water and there's a sail boat -I think, it's a little abstract.

But anyway, ETA, TEA, ATE, EAT, E.T.A. Hoffman. I re-borrowed this book to finish reading over break. We read Hoffman in my Vampire Lit class sophomore year, I think the story was called "Aurelia" and it was about ghouls, yum yum. The last scene of the short story was a group of naked women eating dead bodies. I liked that one. A few weeks ago, Dennison shows me this book, says "The Sandman" is something I should read. "It's like they're just written for Angela," he says on the stories. Like I said, I do enjoy it. "The Sandman" had some dark humor in it, scared little children, vampiric woman (actually in this tale, the vampiric woman was only a "robot" sort of, as much as a robot there could have been in the early 1800s. This mad scientist created this woman to do nothing but look pretty and say "Oh!" and "Ah!" and it further eats away at this guy, Nathaniel. He becomes more and more depressed and disillusioned from this woman, but mostly from the haunting of Coppelius, this disgusting, evil, fat, sweaty, ugly man who Nathaniel always had mistaken for the "sandman" when he was young, and who had murdered Nathaniel's father. There's a lot of little plot things in this short story, I think maybe a little too much for it's length (and "Mademoiselle" seems the same way so far), but the theme of the story was that man has no power over things he cannot see. (That was so not PC, Humans have no power over the things she or he cannot see.) Nathaniel feels that the evil and paranormal essences of things like Coppelius and the "robot" woman are in control of him. This is kind of like in The Lost Stradivarius too...

Also, last night I went to Century III Mall with Ringa, Suzanne, and Shannon. It was fun to go to a mall, and I bought a new cardigan. It's gray, it's comfortable, it was 7 dollars, and it tells dirty jokes. We drove around some, at dinner, had icecream at Eat n Park where Ringa knows all the servers and seaters (because she makes friends at restaurants so she can get the good seats and the free drinks. Walking into a restaurant with Ringa is like walking into a place with the Don, and everyone kisses her hand.)

Shannon insisted we drive through the cemetary on the South Side slopes, and the car, of course, got stuck on a patch of ice and were we stuck for about 20 minutes at 3 AM in the cemetary looking down at the city. It was a little creepy and gave me the heebie jeebies!!! In another cemetary we were driving through in West Mifflin, we saw some deer, but we could only see their sillouettes against the sky, which was a little pinkish, reddish, magenta colored. The buck was watching us watch him, very, very still. It was pretty.

I am going home after work today. And in just about three weeks, I'll be off to Vancouver!

No comments: