Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Here's to Existing

If it were possible, would travel to an alternate universe, in which you would have never existed?

I wouldn't. I have trouble being satisfied with just thinking, therefore I am.

It's a scary thought, imagining you don't really exist.

That's why I enjoy getting things in the mail, like letters addressed to me, and cards. I enjoy getting phone calls and emails. I love my birthday because that day everyone says "Happy Birthday Angela" to me. All these personal things, that varify to me that I exist. I need other people to prove my existence. When someone calls 2 times in a day and is wondering if you are okay because you weren't somewhere, that says to me, "Oh! I exist."
...
The above is from the link in this entry's title. I always imagine what it would be like to go back in time to my younger self. I wo---Another argument of impossibility is called the chronology principal. This principal states that time travelers could bring information to the past that could be used to create new ideas and products. This would involve no creative energy on the part of the "inventor." Imagine that Pablo Ruiz y Picasso, the most influential and successful artist of the 20th century, were to travel back in time to meet his younger self. Assuming he stays in his correct universe, he could give his younger self his portfolio containing copies of his paintings, sculptures, graphic art, and ceramics. The young version of Picasso could then meticulously copy the reproductions, profoundly and irrevocably affecting the future of art. Thus, the reproductions exist because they are copied from the originals, and the originals exist because they are copied from the reproductions. No creative energy would have ever been expended to create the masterpieces! 3 This chronology principal rules out travel into the past.

I wouldn't devulge too much information to my younger self-I've seen Back to the Future (and many times), I know what would happen if I exposed myself to information only time has the right to tell. This passage talks about the problem with that too.


I don't know man, but it would be nice to have some comments, I may not have said any of this stuff, ever,.


No comments: